Rollercoaster Mum: One More Candle by Merry Susiarjo - children's book review

ShareThis

Monday 30 September 2013

One More Candle by Merry Susiarjo - children's book review

Children's picture book


A little while ago we were sent a lovely book by new children's writer Merry Susiarjo. Little Miss is beginning to grow out of picture books but she loves to read them by herself and being the Little Miss she is very much affected by the topic of sibling jealousy covered in this book. We get our fair share of 'it's not fair' because of Bigger Miss being - well bigger and older.

This book covers the topic in a very sensitive way as it is about two sisters who celebrate their birthdays at the same time but the younger one doesn't like that the older one always gets an extra candle on her birthday cake even if everything else is equal. It is resolved in the end by both the younger sister coming to accept that she is younger and also by the elder sister being very kind and considerate. (I am not sure how true the last message is all the time!)

This is a great book for siblings - especially if they are both very young and struggle to understand and deal with sibling rivalry. The illustrations are also lovely and really suit the book. I look forward to seeing some more in the series about the sisters.

Here is Little Miss's book review - it is a bit short on words I'm afraid as she wasn't feeling like writing that day! I like the fact that her favourite bit is where the older sister resolves the issue and becomes the one person who really understands her and I hope that my girls, however much they fight, will always be best friends too.

children's book review

One More Candle by Merry Susiarjo is available from Amazon and other good retailers.

Disclosure - I was sent a copy of the book to review but all opinions and words are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apologies for the word verification but I am getting so many spam comments I have had to activate it for a while. Thank you for bearing with me and commenting - comments really do make my day :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...